You can find on this page the Brooklyn old map to print and to download in PDF. The Brooklyn historical map and the vintage map of Brooklyn present the past and evolutions of the city of Brooklyn in New York - USA.
The Brooklyn old map shows evolutions of Brooklyn city. This historical map of Brooklyn will allow you to travel in the past and in the history of Brooklyn in New York - USA. The Brooklyn ancient map is downloadable in PDF, printable and free.
The Dutch were the first Europeans to settle the historical area of Brooklyn on the western edge of Long Island, which was then largely inhabited by the Lenape, a Native American people who are often referred to in contemporary colonial documents by a variation of the place name "Canarsie." The "Breuckelen" settlement, named after Breukelen in the Netherlands, was part of New Netherland, and the Dutch West India Company lost little time in chartering the six original parishes (listed in Brooklyn historical map by their later, more common English names): Gravesend: in 1645, settled under Dutch patent by English followers of the Anabaptist, Lady Deborah Moody. Brooklyn: as "Breuckelen" in 1646, after the town now spelled Breukelen, Netherlands. Flatlands: as "New Amersfoort" in 1647. Flatbush: as "Midwout" in 1652. New Utrecht: in 1657, after the city of Utrecht, Netherlands. Bushwick: as "Boswijck" in 1661.
What is today Brooklyn left Dutch hands after the final English conquest of New Netherland in 1664, in a prelude to the Second Anglo–Dutch War. New Netherland was taken in a naval action, and the conquerors renamed their prize in honor of the overall English naval commander, James, Duke of York; Brooklyn became a part of the Province of New York as its shown in Brooklyn historical map. The English organized the six old Dutch towns of southwestern Long Island as Kings County on November 1, 1683, one of twelve counties then established in New York. This tract of land was recognized as a political entity for the first time, and the municipal groundwork was laid for a later expansive idea of the historical Brooklyn identity. Lacking the patroon and tenant farmer system of the Hudson Valley, this agricultural county achieved one of the highest fractions of slavery among the population in the Thirteen Colonies.
On August 27, 1776, the Battle of Long Island (also known as the historical Battle of Brooklyn) was the first major engagement fought in the American Revolutionary War after independence was declared, and the largest of the entire conflict. British troops forced Continental Army troops under George Washington off the heights near the modern sites of Green-Wood Cemetery, Prospect Park, and Grand Army Plaza as you can see in Brooklyn historical map. Washington, viewing particularly fierce fighting at the Gowanus Creek from his vantage point atop a hill near the west end of present-day Atlantic Avenue, was famously reported to have emotionally exclaimed: "What brave men I must this day lose" The fortified American positions at Brooklyn Heights consequently became untenable and were evacuated a few days later, leaving the British in control of New York Harbor. While Washington defeat on the battlefield cast early doubts on his ability as commander, the subsequent tactical withdrawal of all his troops and supplies across the East River in a single night is seen by historians as one of his most brilliant triumphs.
The Brooklyn vintage map give a unique insight into the history and evolution of Brooklyn city. This vintage map of Brooklyn with its antique style will allow you to travel in the past of Brooklyn in New York - USA. The Brooklyn vintage map is downloadable in PDF, printable and free.
The first half of the 19th century saw the beginning of the development of urban vintage areas on the economically strategic East River shore of Kings County, facing the adolescent City of New York confined to Manhattan Island as its shown in Brooklyn vintage map. The New York Navy Yard operated in Wallabout Bay (border between Brooklyn and Williamsburgh) for the entire 19th century and two thirds of the 20th century. The first center of urbanization sprang up in the Town of Brooklyn, directly across from Lower Manhattan, which saw the incorporation of the Village of Brooklyn in 1816. Reliable steam ferry service across the East River to Fulton Landing converted Brooklyn Heights into a commuter town for Wall Street. Ferry Road to Jamaica Pass became Fulton Street to East New York. Town and Village were combined to form the first, kernel incarnation of the City of Brooklyn in 1834. In parallel development, the Town of Bushwick, a little farther up the river, saw the incorporation of the Village of Williamsburgh in 1827, which separated as the Town of Williamsburgh in 1840, only to form the short-lived City of Williamsburgh in 1851.
Fervent in the Union cause, the vintage city of Brooklyn played a major role in supplying troops and materiel for the American Civil War. The most well known regiment to be sent off to war from the city was the 14th Brooklyn "Red Legged Devils" as its mentioned in Brooklyn vintage map. They fought from 1861 to 1864 and wore red the entire war. They were the only Regiment named after a city, and President Lincoln called them into service personally, making them part of a handful of 3 year enlisted soldiers in April 1861. Unlike other regiments during the American Civil War, the 14th wore a uniform inspired by that of the French Chasseurs, a light infantry used for quick assaults on the enemy. As both a seaport and a manufacturing center, Brooklyn was well prepared to play to the Union's strengths in shipping and manufacturing. The two combined in shipbuilding; the ironclad Monitor was built in Brooklyn.
Taking a thirty-year break from municipal expansionism, this well-situated coastal city established itself as the third-most-populous American city for much of the 19th century (see Brooklyn vintage map). Brooklyn is referred to as a twin vintage city of New York in the 1883 poem, "The New Colossus" by Emma Lazarus, which appears on a plaque inside the Statue of Liberty. The poem calls New York Harbor, "The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame." As a twin city to New York, it played a role in national affairs that was later overshadowed by its century-old submergence into its old partner and rival. Economic growth continued, propelled by immigration and industrialization. The waterfront from Gowanus Bay to Greenpoint was developed with piers and factories. Industrial access to the waterfront was improved by the Gowanus Canal and the canalized Newtown Creek. The USS Monitor was only the most famous product of the large and growing shipbuilding industry of Williamsburg.